Historic Stone Chapel
The story of Christ’s Church begins in 1905 with the vision of a group of mostly English and Welsh pioneers, a vision to create a spiritual community in the developing frontier town of Castle Rock. In 1906, the main section of the building that is now our chapel was built of hand-cut rhyolite blocks from the local stone quarry, by local stone mason Charles Herb and his helpers, on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ellis. The original church was only what is now the nave (central section with pews). Tradition has it that church members hand-carried the heavy stones and helped lift them into place as Herb worked his artistry to turn ordinary rocks into inspiring sacred space.
A Colorado marble cornerstone was laid the summer of 1906. Bishop C. L. Olmsted consecrated Christ’s Episcopal Church on April 23, 1907, under the proud gaze of the Castle Rock itself.
In those early years, the church had no running water and no central heating, but its spiritual roots were strong. As the community grew and prospered, and gradually the building was expanded. In 1911, a Sanctuary, or raised altar area, was added to the East end, along with a new entry way that extends on the south side (where a window now is).
The foundation of the chapel was stabilized and its interior restored in 2019, assuring that this historic place of worship will continue to serve the community for another hundred years.
If you’d like to download and print a brochure about our Chapel, simply click here. (It’s a trifold brochure to be printed in landscape orientation on legal-size paper.) Learn more about our Sanctuary, where most of our services are held today, and The Gathering Place.