Historic Stone Chapel
Kathy Mordeaux, Director of Music, Christ’s Episcopal Church
The story of our church began with the vision of a group of mostly English and Welsh pioneers, a vision to create spiritual community in the developing frontier town of Castle Rock in 1905. In 1906, the current chapel was built of hand-cut rhyolite blocks from the local stone quarry, by local stone mason Charles Herb and his helpers, on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ellis. The original church was only what is now the nave (central section with pews). Tradition has it that church members hand-carried the heavy stones and helped lift them into place as Herb worked his artistry to turn ordinary rocks into inspiring sacred space.
A Colorado marble cornerstone was laid the summer of 1906. Bishop C. L. Olmsted consecrated Christ’s Episcopal Church on April 23, 1907, under the proud gaze of the Rock itself.
In those early years, the church had no running water and no central heating, but its spiritual roots were strong. As the community grew and prospered, and gradually the building was expanded. In 1911, a Sanctuary, or raised altar area, was added to the East end, along with a new entry way that extends on the south side (where a window now is).
If you’d like to download and print the entire brochure about our Chapel, simply click here. (It is a trifold brochure to be printed on legal size paper.) Learn more about our Sanctuary, where most of our services are held today, and The Gathering Place.